Karen McGrane on mobile, content strategy, fixing technology and the media culture

Editor's note: Using ‘Hire humans. Not skills. Not roles.’ as our marching orders, the Lab's profiles are Q&As with highly-impressive makers and strategists from media (and its fringes), each with unique perspectives on journalism, publishing and communications technology. We’re after smart people shaping the ways we communicate with technology, and not all of them work in a newsroom. Catch up and/or follow the series here.

I want to be Karen McGrane when I grow up, and you should want to be her too. For more than fifteen years she has been solving real human problems around the way people interact with software using sophisticated user experience design and content strategy techniques. Her company, Bond Art + Science, has worked with The Atlantic, Fast Company, and Franklin Templeton on content strategy and information architecture. Previously the VP and national lead for user experience at Razorfish, she led major design projects for The New York Times, Condé Nast, and Disney and managed a diverse team of information architects, content strategists, and user researchers. She is a talented and engaging public speaker and her must-read book, Content Strategy For Mobile, was published last year.

Karen McGrane

Why is technology important to communications industries?

Every company is a technology company. Every business is in the user experience business. Every business needs to organize around building great digital products. This needs to be woven into to the very fiber of the organization.

Right now, “digital” and “technology” are still treated like they're bolted on. The digital team used to sit in the basement. Maybe today they're a bit more integrated, but in a separate-but-equal kind of way. I'm reminded of this quote from the novel Gone Girl:

“This was back when the Internet was still some exotic pet kept in the corner of the publishing world—throw some kibble at it, watch it dance on its little leash, oh quite cute, it definitely won’t kill us in the night.”

I think what's important about technology for the media industry is that it changes the way you work.

How do you explain what you do for a living to your parents and/or family-members?

I used to tell people I made websites, but that opened me up to all kinds of conversations about whether I could help them make a website for their goat-milking business, and, truth be told, I have no idea how to actually make websites. It's kind of like asking an architect to help you put up a garden shed.

Now I say that I “tell people how to fix what they're doing wrong on the internet.”

What are you working on these days?

I tell people how to fix what they're doing wrong on mobile. I'm busy.

What is the biggest tech challenge that media companies will face over the next 5 years?

The editorial process and publishing workflow needs to evolve to support print, web, and now a zombie apocalypse of mobile devices. This touches every corner of the organization even though it's often presented as a “technology” problem.

The workflow between print and web is shockingly cumbersome for most media companies. But we've been able to limp along since it was just those two platforms. With the growth of mobile we can't afford to maintain these really inefficient ways of working.

Some of this is a CMS problem. And, yes, fixing the CMS and figuring out how to publish via APIs is one part of the solution. But you can't fix your CMS unless you fix the underlying issues between print and digital. Fixing the technology is hard, but fixing the culture is way harder.

If you could change one thing about media today, what would you change?

I'd fast-forward the organizational and cultural changes within these companies so that they keep pace with the changes in user behavior.

You are working for yourself these days, correct?

I am incredibly grateful to live at a time, and to work in an industry, that offers so many different options for how to structure relationships with the organizations we work with. I spend a lot of time with my design management students talking about the benefits and drawbacks of working in different environments: large corporate, small corporate, startups, freelance, and agency.

Knowing myself and how I work, I am so much happier working for myself. I really like having the freedom to choose my clients and manage my own workload and I'm comfortable taking on the risks and burdens associated with doing so. I fear I've gone feral.

What is it like teaching a design management course at the School of Visual Arts?

I have an undergraduate degree in philosophy, and a master’s in science from an engineering school. I now teach a course in business in an MFA program. This is to say: you work on the web, being able to see the world through many different lenses is a real benefit.

I never would have expected to teach a management class (in a fine arts program, no less) but it's one of the most rewarding things I do. When I put the syllabus together, I thought of it as a guided tour through all the mistakes I've made in business. I don't expect to teach anyone how not to make these mistakes, but I will consider myself successful if, upon making the mistake, my students at least realize they've seen that problem before. To actually learn how to manage, you have to make the mistakes yourself.

What possibly not-well-known projects, companies or media outlets are doing exciting, innovative media, tech work and we should be paying attention?

I think very highly of the team at Arc90. People in the publishing industry probably know them from their read-it-later app Readability. They do a ton of really smart work, both working directly with media companies and building their own products.

What do you read religiously?

Secretly I really like Reddit. It rightly gets a lot of flak for displaying some of the worst impulses on the internet, but it also has some genuinely interesting and thought-provoking and moving content.

There is a subreddit for everyone.

What applications do you have open while you're working?

To paraphrase Homer Simpson: Twitter, the cause of and the solution to all of life's problems. Twitter is horribly distracting and yet I really like having it on in the background while I'm working.

Tell us a little more about this: “Her unprofessional work experience includes working in a hat factory and doing mall appearances as the Muppet Ernie.”

After college, I worked for the company that puts on Sesame Street Live, which was the only licensed manufacturer of human-sized Muppet costumes. Every once in a while they'd need someone to put on a Muppet suit for a parade or a mall appearance. I was the right height to play Ernie. After spending 30 minutes in that heavy, hot, stinky costume, I could not believe anyone could dance in it.

The hat factory was the only job I've ever walked out of. Enough said.

What is the biggest luxury in your life?

Room service breakfast eaten in my hotel room bed. I travel pretty frequently, and I love having someone bring me tea when I wake up.

Follow Karen McGrane on Twitter, @karenmcgrane. Find weekly updates from our profiles series on Fridays.

About the author

Miranda Mulligan

Executive Director, 2012-2014

Latest Posts

• Introducing StorylineJS

Today we're excited to release a new tool for storytellers.

StorylineJS makes it easy to tell the story behind a dataset, without the need for programming or data visualization expertise. Just upload your data to Google Sheets, add two columns, and fill in the story on the rows you want to highlight. Set a few configuration options and you have an annotated chart, ready to embed on your website. (And did we mention, it looks great on phones?) As with all of our tools, simplicity...

Continue Reading

• Join us in October: NU hosts the Computation + Journalism 2017 symposium

An exciting lineup of researchers, technologists and journalists will convene in October for Computation + Journalism Symposium 2017 at Northwestern University. Register now and book your hotel rooms for the event, which will take place on Friday, Oct. 13, and Saturday, Oct. 14 in Evanston, IL. Hotel room blocks near campus are filling up fast! Speakers will include: Ashwin Ram, who heads research and development for Amazon’s Alexa artificial intelligence (AI) agent, which powers the...

Continue Reading

• Bringing Historical Data to Census Reporter

A Visualization and Research Review

An Introduction Since Census Reporter’s launch in 2014, one of our most requested features has been the option to see historic census data. Journalists of all backgrounds have asked for a simplified way to get the long-term values they need from Census Reporter, whether it’s through our data section or directly from individual profile pages. Over the past few months I’ve been working to make that a reality. With invaluable feedback from many of you,......

Continue Reading

• How We Brought A Chatbot To Life

Best Practice Guide

A chatbot creates a unique user experience with many benefits. It gives the audience an opportunity to ask questions and get to know more about your organization. It allows you to collect valuable information from the audience. It can increase interaction time on your site. Bot prototype In the spring of 2017, our Knight Lab team examined the conversational user interface of Public Good Software’s chatbot, which is a chat-widget embedded within media partner sites.......

Continue Reading

• Stitching 360° Video

For the time-being, footage filmed on most 360° cameras cannot be directly edited and uploaded for viewing immediately after capture. Different cameras have different methods of outputting footage, but usually each camera lens corresponds to a separate video file. These video files must be combined using “video stitching” software on a computer or phone before the video becomes one connected, viewable video. Garmin and other companies have recently demonstrated interest in creating cameras that stitch......

Continue Reading

• Publishing your 360° content

Publishing can be confusing for aspiring 360° video storytellers. The lack of public information on platform viewership makes it nearly impossible to know where you can best reach your intended viewers, or even how much time and effort to devote to the creation of VR content. Numbers are hard to come by, but were more available in the beginning of 2016. At the time, most viewers encountered 360° video on Facebook. In February 2016, Facebook......

Continue Reading

Storytelling Tools

We build easy-to-use tools that can help you tell better stories.

View More