New team member: Rebecca Poulson, storyteller and developer

A few months ago we put out a call for two new developers. Today, we’re happy to announce that the first of those positions has been filled. Rebecca Poulson will join Knight Lab later this month as a developer and will bring a unique skill set that includes storytelling, technology, and virtual reality.

Rebecca Poulson

“Everyone involved in the hiring process at Knight Lab was impressed by Rebecca’s technical skill and, just as importantly, her enthusiasm for and ability to clearly communicate complicated ideas,” said Joe Germuska, Knight Lab director. “We’re excited to have her join us.”

Poulson comes to Knight Lab from Kickstarter where she’s been a developer focused on devops since October 2014. Prior to Kickstarter she studied computer science as a fellow at Fog Creek software and worked as a playwright and theater director.

“I'm both a technologist and storyteller,” Poulson said, which is part of what drew her to the Lab. “I'm excited by the way Knight Lab bridges the two communities and by the opportunity to work on open source tools that could be put to work for really diverse stories and settings.”

She’s comfortable with the Lab’s experimental ethos and has explored emerging technology throughout her career.

“I recently worked on a 360 video VR project which turned out totally weird,” she said. “But I had a ton of fun and learned so much working on it…. The medium's at such a cool point. Everything I thought was a good idea three months ago I now think is totally terrible.”

Poulson will start on June 20th.

Latest Posts

Storytelling Tools

We build easy-to-use tools that can help you tell better stories.

View More